Monday 18 March 2013

Facelift

My website first saw the light of day back in 2006, so after seven years, I began to get a bit itchy and decided it needed a facelift. It hasn't changed hugely, but it's less "flashy", there's no intro and I've got all those wonderful widgets and badges to connect up my scattered social media profiles.

I wonder, if I'd been setting it all up today, if I'd have bothered with a website. After all, it costs money and it's a faff to continually change or update. Maybe I could have got away with a Facebook Page which linked up to a blog and a Twitter stream.

But, no. I think it's important to have a position, beliefs, unchanging principles. And I was happy to find that those on my website are as relevant today as they were back in 2006.

It's a bit like being a book author rather than just a blogger. At the end of it, the blog is all about currency and the here-and-now and like most journalism, forgotten tomorrow. A book may lose its superficial currency, but it makes up for it in depth and focus on the unchanging truths of human nature.

Like everything in life, we need both permanence and change. 

No comments: