Wednesday 2 December 2009

Invasion of the Kuddly Kreatures

I have an admission to make. I am one of those parents who doesn't protest too strongly at being dragged off to see "Alvin & The Chipmunks" or "G-Force". I have quite a soft spot for cuddly creatures. I do, however, draw the line at sending cute puppies and kittens around by email to people I haven't spoken to properly in the last decade.

Given my liking for jazz, how could I resist the latest spot for Drench? Apparently, Miles, Fats, The Duke and Dizzy were all discovered in the proper casting tradition through classified ads looking for talented hamsters. The result is a lovely little bit of entertainment, if your tastes are like mine - or the start of the annual YouTube Kuddlefest horror, if they're not.

But is it good communication for the brand? I expect I'll have to be a party pooper on that. There is just far too much of this stuff around, such that a brand can't own it unless that brand is exceptional. Coke got away with the singing gonks this summer although very few other brands would have pulled it off.

At the end of it, they're trying to sell water or refreshment and I'm afraid neither of those come readily to mind when I think of hamsters.


No comments: